||In the Village
1.Anjaneya Swamy Temple :
This temple is located on the northern side of Pedda Venkama Raju Kalyana Mandapam. At the entrance, Lord Shiva in the form of the Lingam*(brought by Swami from Kasi), is installed.
The temple has Anjaneya (Hanuman) standing inside a cave. Water gathers under the feet of Anjaneya.
2.Birth Place of Sri Sathya Sai Baba :
A Shiva temple in the Puttaparthi village marks the birthplace of Sri Sathya Sai Baba. At November 23rd 1926, the day Swami was born, was a Karthika Somavara – a Monday of Karthika, traditionally devoted to the
Puja and worship of Shiva - a Shiva temple was built in that place. It was inaugurated by Swami in 1979.
3.Sri Pedda Venkama Raju Kalyana Mandapam :
The Old Mandir was constructed in the year 1945. The place selected was a little away from the village, between Sathyabhama and Gopalakrishna temples.
After the completion of the New Mandir (the present one) in the year 1950, the Old Mandir has been made into a Kalyana Mandapam (marriage hall).
It is given for marriages freely to anybody who needs it.
4. The Village Mosque :
The village Mosque and the hall opposite were constructed and inaugurated by Swami in 1978.
There is another small mosque near the Gokulam..
5.Sathya Sai Nagar :
This is a colony of 58 houses where the villagers displaced by the unprecedented flooding of the Chitravathi river in
1975, have been provided comfortable shelter by Swami
This temple is dedicated to Sathyabhama, the consort of Lord Krishna.
It was erected by Baba's grandfather Kondama Raju, being inspired by a vivid, powerful dream:
Sathyabhama sends her Lord to get Parijatha flowers for her, and waits for Him to return for days, when a huge storm
bursts forth. She asks Kondama Raju who was passing that way to provide her shelter.
7.Venu Gopalaswamy Temple :
Puttaparthi in the olden days was called Gollapalli, 'home of cowherds.' Cows then yielded copious milk, and the cowherds were prosperous.
One cow-herd, who noticed that his cow returned home with empty udders after a day's grazing, quietly followed it one day.
The cow wended its leisurely way out of the village and stopped at an anthill. A cobra emerged and put its lips on the cow's
udders and began sucking milk. The cow let the serpent have his fill with maternal contentment. Annoyed, the cowherd wounded the
cobra with a stone. The dying cobra cursed the gopalas (cowherds). As an effect of the imprecation the village was infested with
anthills. Cattle declined in numbers. The name of the village was thereafter changed to Valmikipura - ' Valmiki' in Sanskrit means 'ant
hill.' Valmikipura in common parlance is Puttaparthi.
The stone with which the cowherd had killed the snake was installed as a deity in a temple and began to be worshipped.
Such propitiation, the village elders hoped, would mitigate the dreadful curse – of which the permanently imprinted cobra's blood
streak on the stone was a constant reminder. Once, Bhagawan directed people to wash the stone and smear sandal paste on the stained side.
A clear outline of Sri Gopalasamy with flute in His lips became discernible. On putting the stone to the ear, Sri Gopalasamy's breath could be heard passing though the flute.
The temple began to be called Venugopalasamy temple. The power of the cur se waned away, and the cattle began to thrive again.
Om Sai Ram